Published on September 01, 2010
Makes 4 Servings
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 6 cups 98% fat-free, no-salt-added canned chicken broth
- 1 medium red skinned potato, scrubbed and diced
- 1/4 cup dried split peas
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed dried thyme
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 large ripe plum tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 cup cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chopped cooked turkey meat or chicken breast
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley (optional)
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Sauté until onion is wilted, about 5 minutes. Stir in chicken broth.
- Raise heat and add potato, split peas, basil, thyme, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf. Stir in zucchini, tomato, cannellini beans, and turkey. Simmer, uncovered, another 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Ladle into soup bowl. If using, sprinkle each serving with parsley and then some of the grated cheese. Serve hot.
- 226 calories (16% calories from fat)
- 20 g protein
- 4 g total fat (0.9 g saturated fat)
- 26 g carbohydrates
- 7 g dietary fiber
- 27 mg cholesterol
- 253 mg sodium
Recipe Courtesy of: http://www.diabetic-recipes.com/recipes/dec99_2.1.htm