Visiting hours have changed as a result of COVID-19. Learn more. Testing information is available. Learn more.

Published on March 18, 2020

Where To Get Food and Other Assistance in and around Goldsboro during Coronavirus Pandemic

Last Updated: Monday, March 23, 2020, 10:40 a.m.

Whether we or our loved ones get sick, many families in our community are stressed financially and emotionally through this COVID-19 pandemic. Here is a list of resources for Goldsboro and surrounding communities. If you have suggestions for additions, please email:

Important Numbers

NC COVID-19 Call Center - 1-866-462-3821

Text Alerts for COVID-19- Sign up by texting COVIDNC to 898211

Non-Profits, Churches & Individuals Wishing to Provide Support

United Way of Wayne County is serving as the contact for churches, nonprofits and individuals wishing to provide support. If your organization is already providing support services (food, diapers etc.) please contact the UWWC so your services can be listed as a resource and promoted. If your organization would like to offer services, please contact the UWWC to discuss what needs are currently unmet.

Many local churches and non-profits have expressed a desire to provide support. Please contact the United Way at 919-735-3591 for direction. In this challenging time, we must be strategic in identifying and fulfilling needs to avoid unnecessary exposure.


Call United Way of Wayne County 919-735-3591 to be directed to where to find Food Assistance.

Sites available for adults :

  • The Community Soup Kitchen (112 W. Oak Street) serves take-out Monday thru Saturday from 11:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
  • Salvation Army distributes Food boxes Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and perishables are distributed daily at 2:30 p.m.

Rebuilding Broken Places (2105 N William Street) is serving lunch weekdays (must be under 18) from 12:00 p.m. till 1:30 p.m.  Call 919-581-9178 for more information.

Families who need food assistance can now text FOODNC to 877-877 to find free meal sites near them.


If you have Child Care needs contact Partnership for Children of Wayne County (800 N. William Street) at 919-735-3371.

Internet Access

Several local internet providers are participating in the Federal Communications Commission Keep Americans Connected Pledge. These providers agree not to terminate service to any residential or small business customers because of their inability to pay their bills and waive late fees incurred because of economic circumstances related to the pandemic. They will also open Wi-Fi hotspots to anyone who needs them. Visit the FCC site for a full list of participating providers.


  • Suspending broadband usage caps for our home internet customers. That means no overage fees while people are home using more data.

  • Continuing to offer internet access for qualifying limited-income households at $10/month through our Access from AT&T program.

Charter Communications/Spectrum

  • Offering free Spectrum broadband and Wi-Fi access for 60 days to households with K-12 and/or college students who do not already have a Spectrum broadband subscription and at any service level up to 100 Mbps. To enroll call 1-844-488-8395. Installation fees will be waived for new student households.

  • Continuing to offer Spectrum Internet Assist, high speed broadband program to eligible low-income households delivering speeds of 30 Mbps.

  • No data caps or hidden fees.


  • For households with K-12 and/or college students who may be displaced due to school closures and who do not currently have home internet access, Altice/Suddenlink is offering Advantage 30 Mbps broadband solution for free for 60 days to any new customer household within its footprint. To enroll, call 888-633-0030.

Unemployment Insurance

Governor Roy Cooper issued an executive order that will provide benefits to those who lose, or have lost, their jobs during the coronavirus outbreak. Those expansions:

  • Remove the one-week waiting period to apply for benefits.

  • Remove the requirement that a person must look for another job during this time.

  • Allows employees who lost their jobs, or who have had their hours reduced due to COVID-19 issues, to apply for unemployment benefits.

To apply for benefits, visit

Department of Employment Services Customer Call Center - 1-888-737-0259

Goldsboro Employment Security Commission - 919-731-7950

Health Care

2-1-1 is the number to call for assistance and resources related to the COVID-19 coronavirus. NC 2-1-1 is an information and referral service, operated by United Way of North Carolina, where families and individuals can obtain free and confidential information on health and human service resources within their community 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year. Resources are available in most languages.

Wayne County Health Department - 919-731-1000

Individuals without health insurance, who are not feeling well, should:

  1. First, call your nearest Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC). If you feel you may have COVID-19, be sure to disclose that when you call to obtain an appointment. Note: FQHCs are community-based health care providers that receive federal funds to provide needed health services in communities across the state.

  2. If you are not able to be seen at an FQCH, call your local health department. Free and charitable clinics may also be able to provide assistance. A map of these resources, including contact information, is provided by the Office of Rural Health.

  3. If you are having a medical emergency, call 911 or call ahead then go to the Emergency Room.

UNC Urgent Care 24/7

UNC Urgent Care 24/7 offers simple, convenient and around-the-clock care for nonemergency medical issues. 

There are several ways to access care through UNC Urgent Care 24/7, which is offered through MDLIVE, a provider of virtual medicine services and software. 

A virtual care doctor will visit with you through a private and secure connection. Then, the physician can diagnose problems such as Acne, Allergies, Constipation, Diarrhea, Ear Problems, Headache, Insect Bites, Pink Eye, Rash, Urinary problems/UTI, Vaginitis, Vomiting.  Additionally, the doctor will recommend treatment and write prescriptions. People experiencing true emergencies, including chest pain, should still go to a hospital emergency department.

    Mental Health

    • Optum has a toll-free 24-hour Emotional Support Help Line at 866-342-6892 for people who may be experiencing anxiety or stress around COVID-19.

    • The National Disaster Distress Helpline at 1-800-985-5990 offers crisis counseling and emotional support 24 hours a day for anyone experiencing distress or other mental health concerns during the COVID-19 outbreak.

    • The Hopeline is also available 24 hours a day at either 919-231-4525 or 1-877-235-4525.

    • LME/MCOs can provide resources for Medicaid beneficiaries and individuals without insurance.

    • The National Suicide Prevention Hotline (1-800-273-TALK) offers free and confidential support for people in distress, prevention and crisis resources and best practices for professionals.

    • Postpartum Helpline- 
      • Call 1-800-944-4773, #1 En Espanol or #2 English
      • Text: English: 503-894-9453, Español: 971-420-0294
      • The PSI HelpLine does not handle emergencies. People in crisis should call their local emergency number or the National Suicide Prevention Hotline.

    Pregnancy & Postpartum Support

    Postpartum Support International (PSI) offers online support groups, live phone sessions, and other support resources to increase awareness among public and professional communities about the emotional changes that women experience during pregnancy and postpartum. PSI offers weekly online support meetings as well as online meetings for Perinatal Mood Support, NICU Parents, Pregnancy Mood Support Group and Military Moms. Click here is learn more.

    Small Businesses

    Governor Roy Cooper requested the U.S. Small Business Administration grant a disaster declaration for small business owners facing economic losses related to the COVID-19 pandemic.

    The NC Chamber has released a resource guide that can be found here. Other information they have included is Federal Labor and Employment Laws, and Best Practices in Establishing a Cross-Functional Team to Manage Preparation and Response. If you have other questions, resources are available from the Wayne County Chamber of Commerce.

    Energy Assistance

    The Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP) is a federally-funded program that provides for a one-time vendor payment to help eligible households pay their heating bills.

    What To Do If You Have COVID-19 Symptoms?

    If you are concerned you have been exposed or have symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19), click the purple Coronavirus Help tab on the bottom of

    This will bring up our coronavirus symptom checker that will lead you through some questions to determine if you need medical follow-up. You can also call your primary care provider.

    Do not go to your doctor’s office or an urgent care without first determining if further medical screening is necessary.

    If you are having difficulty breathing, call 911 or seek immediate treatment.