Summer of 2020
Due to COVID-19 and in an effort to promote a healing environment, volunteers are not allowed in our facilities. For this reason, the Junior Volunteer program for the summer of 2020 has been cancelled. If you are interested in applying for the summer 2021 program, you can do so here.
Junior Volunteer Program
Junior Volunteers can take advantage of an excellent opportunity to serve their fellow man while exploring careers, gaining valuable experience and making a difference in the lives of others.
- JV’s (junior volunteers) must be ages 15–18 years old when the program begins (mid June)
- Must have completed 8th grade when program begins
- High maturity and commitment level as confirmed by current teachers
- Must be available 6 out of 8 weeks during the summer
- 2.5 GPA in the most current school year with no failing grade
Information about the upcoming program is mailed to interested parties on April 1 of each year. Applicants have an entire month to complete the application, references, essay, and photocopies of grades and immunizations. The package of information is due to Volunteers by the scheduled deadline, mid to late April.
Students selected for the program will have one or two (1 or 2) four-hour assignments each week. The assignments will remain the same during the eight weeks of the program. Most students serve in one nursing area and one clerical area.
Listed below is a sampling of the duties JV’s perform during the summer program:
- Assisting with the discharge process by transporting patients by wheelchair
- Delivering mail to patients
- Assisting clinical staff by making beds, refilling water pitchers, answering patients’ “call” bell, and providing nourishment to patients
- Assisting with clerical responsibilities such as copying, filing, typing, collating, answering telephones, etc.
The following departments have sponsored JV’s in the past; however, this list changes each summer.