Receive high-quality pediatric care at Wayne UNC Health Care to help your child stay healthy from infancy to young adulthood. Your loved one will receive compassionate, child-friendly care close to home in Goldsboro, North Carolina.
Complete Pediatric Care and Services
Turn to Wayne UNC when your child or young adult needs care and treatment. In the hospital and clinics, pediatricians and family medicine doctors will give your child reliable, complete care such as:
Common Pediatric Conditions We Treat
Find care and treatments for everyday childhood and teen conditions, accidents and emergencies, including:
- Broken bones, sprains, and other injuries
- Heart problems
- Respiratory illnesses, such as RSV, bronchiolitis, croup and pneumonia
- Urinary conditions
Advanced Care for Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV)
RSV causes infections of the lungs and respiratory system. If your child has RSV, the virus can progress to a more serious infection and require breathing care at a hospital. Turn to Wayne UNC for specialized Vapotherm therapy to treat respiratory distress. This safe, non-invasive treatment delivers respiratory therapy through your child’s nose to help him or her breathe easier. This sophisticated treatment at Wayne UNC means your child can stay close to home in Goldsboro for care.
If you have a new baby, you’ll benefit from access to our special care nursery. Newborn infants and mothers can take advantage of the nursery for specialized care and treatment.
Count on experienced, skilled surgeons at Wayne UNC if your child needs surgery to treat a condition. Your child’s compassionate care team will provide comfort and reassurance. Pediatric surgeries at Wayne UNC include:
Multidisciplinary Care Team
Rely on a care team that works together to provide pediatric services and treatment during a hospital stay. Your child may get care from:
- Dietitian – Helps with nutritious food choices for recovery and future health
- Nurse assistant – Supports nurses and doctors and performs daily living tasks
- Pediatrician – Manages your child’s health by diagnosing and treating illnesses
- Physical therapist – Helps your child move better and increase strength, balance, and coordination
- Pediatric registered nurse – Performs physical exams, diagnoses illnesses and injuries, and provides education for you and your loved ones
- Respiratory therapist – Assesses and treats lung and airway conditions, such as asthma
- Social worker and case manager – Works closely with you, your child, and your doctor to make sure all needs are met
Pediatric Hospital Unit
Rest assured your child is safe and secure 24/7 in the pediatrics unit at Wayne UNC. The unit has a security system in place and a child GPS banding system allowing us to locate them at any time in the unit or the hospital.
When your child is in the hospital, we try to help ease your stress and provide comforts to allow you to stay close to you child. Comforts and amenities for parents include:
- Meals available three times a day
- Reclining bed chairs (or a bed if your child is in a crib) for one parent to spend the night
- Showers and linens
Pediatric Toy Room
During your child’s hospital stay, take advantage of the inpatient unit children’s playroom. Patients, siblings, and family members can do puzzles, read books, play Wii and PlayStation video games, and use the activity tables. If your child has a contagious condition or can’t leave their bed, your care team can bring toys and games to their bedside.
Visiting Your Child
Your child’s health and safety is our biggest priority. Security and health standards at Wayne UNC allow:
- Parents and guardians to stay overnight with their child
- Siblings and other loved ones to visit during regular hospital visiting hours, as long as they’re not sick
If your hospitalized child is contagious, to protect the health of loved ones, they cannot have siblings visit. Siblings and guests under 12 years old of age cannot visit when visitor restrictions are in place during flu season (October through March).
Car Seat Safety Training
For the safety of your newborn and children, you’re required to have a car seat to leave the hospital. If you need to have a car seat properly installed, call Safe Kids Wayne County at the Partnership for Children 919-735-3371 ext. 235 to set up a time.
Safe Sitter Class
Prepare your middle school child (sixth to eighth grade) to babysit with a one-day Safe Sitter class at Wayne UNC.