Get back to your active lifestyle or job as soon as possible after an injury with specialized services at Wayne UNC Health Care. Take advantage of the newest treatments from a fellowship-trained sports medicine doctor—a former athlete— and other experts close to home in Goldsboro, North Carolina.
Whenever possible, your treatment will start with conservative (nonsurgical) measures. You can keep doing many of your daily activities while benefiting from services such as:
- Blood flow restriction therapy – Places a cuff on an injured arm or leg to limit blood flow and make muscles work harder while you do strengthening exercises
- Pain-relieving injections – Use steroids or hyaluronic acid to treat aching joints or tissue
- Specialized physical therapy – Uses aquatic therapy, kinesiotaping, trigger point dry needling or exercises to treat injuries, sometimes using methods not available elsewhere in Goldsboro
If surgery is your best treatment option, choose Wayne UNC for expert care of your joints and muscles:
- Biceps or triceps tendon repair – Restores elbow strength and range of motion
- Cubital tunnel release – Frees a trapped or compressed ulnar nerve
- Tennis elbow and golfer’s elbow surgery – Treats an injured tendon
- Tommy John surgery – Reconstructs the elbow’s ulnar collateral ligament
- Anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) surgery – Mends or replaces a torn knee ligament
- Medial patellofemoral ligament (MPFL) reconstruction – Creates a new knee ligament after kneecap dislocation
- Meniscus repair – Fixes torn knee cartilage
- Patellofemoral instability surgery – Keeps your kneecap in place
- Acromioclavicular (AC) joint reconstruction – Treats a separated shoulder
- Rotator cuff repair – Treats a torn shoulder tendon
- Shoulder instability surgery – Stops the joint from slipping out of place
- Superior capsule reconstruction – Takes a new approach to treating severe rotator cuff tears by using donor tissue
Your procedure will take place in our new, advanced Surgery Center, which makes the surgical experience as safe and convenient as possible. You’ll appreciate the easy access and advanced technology, and your loved ones will enjoy the many amenities for visitors.
Recover Faster After Arthroscopic Surgery
For most procedures, your surgeon at Wayne UNC uses an arthroscopic (minimally invasive) technique. Rather than making large incisions to see inside your body, the surgeon makes one or more keyhole-size incisions and inserts a tiny video camera, light and surgical tools.
This approach means you’ll recover faster with less pain, scarring and risk of complications. Often, you’ll return home the same day.
You’ll likely need surgery to protect your knee long-term if your ACL severely ruptures, or tears. Your surgeon will recommend the best type of ACL repair or reconstruction for your injury, age, lifestyle and goals. At Wayne UNC, you have access to the same type of ACL surgery that allows elite athletes to return successfully to sports after several months. This procedure uses part of your patellar (kneecap) tendon to replace the torn ACL and stabilize your knee.
Tommy John Surgery
Tommy John surgery uses a healthy arm tendon to replace a torn ulnar collateral ligament in the elbow so you can throw a baseball pitch. You’ll be in good hands with your surgeon at Wayne UNC, who trained under the nation’s most experienced physician in Tommy John surgery.
Making it Easier to Get Care
Rely on us to make surgery more convenient for you and your family. We’ll work to accommodate your schedule when setting a date for treatment. If you’re caring for a loved one with a chronic illness, talk to us about local home health care agencies that can benefit both of you during your recovery.