Move easier and more comfortably with joint replacement surgery at Wayne UNC Health Care. You’ll receive excellent care from experienced orthopedic surgeons, who consistently receive high ratings from patients. Trust us for long-lasting hip, knee, or shoulder relief.
Do I Need Joint Replacement?
Joint replacement surgery, or arthroplasty, exchanges your worn-out, damaged joint for a natural-feeling artificial one. Talk to one of our surgeons about this option if your joint pain or stiffness:
- Interferes with daily activities
- Makes it hard to sleep
- Persists even after nonsurgical treatments, like steroid injections or physical therapy
Your surgeon will ask about your current health, medical history, and goals to recommend the best treatment and get you moving again. Ask as many questions as you need to understand your choices. We’ll take time to listen and understand your condition and concerns.
Knee replacement can make it easier for you to walk, climb stairs, get around at home, and participate in your community. Depending on your needs, a surgeon may recommend:
- Total knee replacement – Exchanges the entire joint for an artificial one
- Partial knee replacement – Treats just the damaged part of the joint
Discover how knee replacement helped Martha Bryan of Goldsboro got back to volunteering in her community after an injury.
For either procedure, your Wayne UNC surgeon will use the smallest possible incision so you recover more quickly, with less pain and scarring.
Hip replacement can help you more easily walk, get in and out of chairs, and bend to do activities like caring for children or pets. Your surgeon will recommend the best procedure for your needs:
Anterior Approach Speeds Recovery
At Wayne UNC, you have access to the latest advance in hip replacement surgery—the anterior approach. The surgeon makes the incision in front of the hip, rather than the back or side. This approach affects fewer muscles, so you can get back to your daily activities sooner.
Shoulder replacement can make it easier for you to do daily tasks like dressing, cooking, and enjoying hobbies or athletics. Depending on your needs, a surgeon may recommend:
- Traditional shoulder replacement – Exchanges the entire joint for an artificial one
- Reverse shoulder replacement – Switches the placement of the artificial joint’s ball and socket so you can better lift your arm after a rotator cuff tear
For either procedure, your Wayne UNC surgeon will use the smallest possible incision to reduce pain, scarring, and recovery time.
Nurse Navigator: Your Guide
Before and after joint replacement, lean on your dedicated orthopedic nurse navigator for guidance:
- Determining if you qualify for surgery
- Understanding what to expect
- Deciding whether and when to pursue treatment
- Making appointments
- Recovering after surgery
- Improving your long-term outcome
Learn more about the extensive support you’ll receive throughout joint replacement preparation and recovery.
Surgery Center Improves Your Experience
Your procedure will take place at our new, advanced Surgery Center, which makes the surgical experience as safe and convenient as possible for you and your family. Benefit from:
- The latest operating room technology to help surgeons perform your procedure accurately and efficiently, so you get the best outcome
- Nurses closely monitoring you at all times
- Easy access and parking close to the entrance
- Amenities for loved ones, like Wi-Fi and phone charging stations