Depend on skilled lab professionals at Wayne UNC Health Care for superior lab services. When you choose our full-service lab to perform your tests, we’ll provide the high-quality results your doctor needs to make informed decisions about your health.
Top-Quality Lab Services
Trust Wayne UNC for accurate, high-quality lab tests from skilled professionals. You can feel confident in our services because:
- Our lab is accredited by The Joint Commission
- Our lab professionals are certified by the American Society of Clinical Pathologists
- Our board-certified pathologists—specialists who work with your doctor to identify diseases through lab tests—are available 24/7
Why Do I Need a Lab Test?
Lab tests check a sample of your blood, urine, or other bodily fluid or tissue. Lab results can let you know if you have certain health problems and detect some diseases early—sometimes even before you feel symptoms. Your doctor may recommend a laboratory test:
- As part of your routine checkup
- To confirm or rule out a diagnosis
- To monitor your health
Many lab tests have more than one purpose. If you have a question about why you need a certain test, ask your doctor.
Do I Need to Make an Appointment?
For most tests, you don’t need to schedule an appointment. Get seen promptly on a first come, first served basis. You must have a doctor’s order for all lab tests. Tests that require an appointment include glucose tolerance tests and fertility studies, such as a semen analysis.
What Should I Bring to my Lab Test?
Bring the following:
- Completed physician order form, if your provider gave you one
- Identification, such as a driver’s license
- Insurance card
- Any documents your doctor directs you to bring
Lab & Pathology Services We Offer
Take advantage of our advanced technology and complete laboratory services, including:
- Anatomic pathology – Diagnoses diseases by inspecting organs and tissues
- Chemistry screen – Tests your blood and measures the levels of substances in it, such as electrolytes and lipids
- Coagulation tests – Checks for blood clotting and screens for problems if you take medications that affect clotting
- Cytology tests – Examines body fluids to diagnose disease
- Hematology testing – Assesses blood to find blood diseases and disorders
- Microbiology lab – Finds and diagnoses bacteria, fungi, parasites, chlamydia, and viruses that cause infections
- Transfusion services – Performs routine and specialized compatibility testing for blood products prior to a transfusion
- Urinalysis – Tests urine by physical, chemical and microscopic means for the presence of disease, drugs, etc.
Getting Your Test Results
Your doctor will receive your lab test results from routine tests within 24 hours. Other tests may take several days. Talk to your doctor about the results.
Your lab test results also are available through My UNC Chart or upon request at our medical records department. When you request your lab results from our medical records department, you’re required to sign a consent form when you get your results