Make regular mammograms part of your lifelong breast care routine to help prevent and identify breast cancer. Turn to Wayne UNC Health Care for advanced 3D mammograms and SmartCurveTM technology that makes your test more comfortable.
Breast Exams and Screenings
Our breast imaging professionals recommend most women:
- Start monthly breast self-exams at age 16
- Get a clinical breast exam from a health care professional every 3 years from ages 20 to 39
- Have a screening mammogram and a clinical breast exam by a health care professional every year from age 40 and older
Recommendations for Women with Family History of Cancer
If you have a family history of breast cancer, you should have:
- Annual mammogram starting 10 years before the age of your family member when she received a breast cancer diagnosis
Mammograms Save Lives
Learn about the importance of mammograms from the mammogram team at Wayne UNC.
Types of Mammograms
Depending on whether you have symptoms or not, your doctor may recommend a screening mammogram or diagnostic mammogram. Your care team uses the same X-ray machine for both types of mammograms, but diagnostic mammograms take longer.
When you don’t have breast pain or lumps, you’ll have a screening mammogram as a preventive test. This test checks for breast cancer before you have symptoms. During your screening mammogram, the X-ray machine will take two or more photos of each of your breasts. If you’ve seen your primary care physician or OB-GYN within the past year, you can schedule a screening mammogram at Wayne UNC without a referral.
Your doctor may recommend a diagnostic mammogram if you have symptoms of breast cancer or an area of concern on your screening mammogram. A diagnostic mammogram takes more views of your breast from various angles with an X-ray.
3D Mammogram Technology
At Wayne UNC, we offer advanced 3D mammogram, also known as digital breast tomosynthesis. A 3D mammogram uses X-ray to create a three-dimensional image of your breast. You’ll benefit from our 3D mammogram technology because it produces more detailed, layered images of your breasts and allows your radiologist to identify cancer easier.
SmartCurve™ Means More Comfort
You’ll feel more at ease than ever during a mammogram thanks to SmartCurve technology at Wayne UNC. This curved compression device mirrors your shape to apply the same level of pressure over the whole breast, so you feel less pinching and discomfort.
Best of all, your images will be the same high quality Wayne UNC has always provided.
How to Prepare for Your Mammogram
Follow these guidelines to prepare for your mammogram:
- Send us the results of any previous mammograms. Your doctor will use them to look for changes over time.
- If you menstruate, schedule your appointment for 14 days after the onset of your period. Your breasts will be less tender and swollen. The mammogram will hurt less and the picture will be better.
- If you have breast implants, tell us when you make your appointment.
- Wear a shirt with shorts, pants, or a skirt. This way, you can undress from the waist up and leave your shorts, pants or skirt on when you get your mammogram.
- Don’t wear deodorant, perfume, lotion, or powder under your arms or on your breasts the day of your mammogram. These things can make shadows show up on your mammogram.
Your Mammogram Team
Expect compassionate care from experienced mammography technologists at Wayne UNC. Our technologists understand the importance of mammograms and will explain the process, answer your questions, and put you at ease during your test.
Your Mammogram Results
You and your doctor will receive the results of your screening mammogram within a week. The results will include a report about your breast density. Dense breasts may make it harder to see cancer on your mammogram image. Your doctor may request additional screening exams if you have dense breast tissue.
Mammograms for All Women
You may qualify for free or low-cost breast screening and follow up through the North Carolina Breast and Cervical Cancer Control Program (NC BCCCP). Go through NC BCCCP to find out if you’re eligible for the program, then we can perform your breast health services at Wayne UNC.
Breast Cancer Care
If you receive a breast cancer diagnosis, rely on the expert team at Wayne UNC for comprehensive cancer care. You’ll have access to the best care and treatment options for your type of breast cancer.