Trust Wayne UNC Health Care for expert breast health services in Goldsboro, North Carolina. Partner with compassionate professionals to reduce your risk of breast cancer, or detect the disease early—when it’s easier to treat.
High-Quality Breast Health Services
Feel confident in the breast care you’ll receive at Wayne UNC because we hold:
- American College of Radiology (ACR) accreditation for breast ultrasounds and mammography. That means you’ll have access to the highest level of imaging services with excellent equipment, staff, and quality assurance procedures.
- Mammography Quality Standards Act certification for safe, reliable mammography services
When to See a Doctor for Breast Care
Contact your primary care doctor or gynecologist about your breast health if you experience:
- Breast pain, redness, or swelling
- Changes in the size or shape of your breast
- Lump or mass in your breast or underarm
- Nipple discharge
- Skin changes, like puckering, bulging, dimpling, or indented nipples
- Sores or rashes on your nipple
Learn about fibrocystic breast changes that may cause breast pain, tenderness and lumpiness.
Breast Exams and Screening Frequency
You should get an annual clinical breast exam and mammogram after the age of 40. Screening mammograms can help identify breast cancer before you feel symptoms. Breast cancers found during screening exams are more likely to be smaller and present only in your breast.
Breast Health for Men
If you're a boy, teen, or adult male and experience breast swelling or a lump, your doctor may recommend a diagnostic mammogram or breast ultrasound. Choose Wayne UNC for excellent care and imaging services to check your breast health.
Breast Imaging Services
Access a wide range of breast imaging services at Wayne UNC. Your doctor may use breast imaging to detect or diagnose breast disease. Depending on your symptoms and breast density, your doctor may recommend:
SmartCurveTM for More Comfortable Mammograms
Experience your most comfortable mammogram ever with Wayne UNC’s SmartCurve technology—a breast-shaped compression paddle. You’ll feel less pinching and an even level of pressure over the whole breast, so you can relax more during the exam.
Rest assured, your mammogram images will be the same high quality Wayne UNC has always provided.
Are You at Risk for Breast Cancer?
You may be at a higher risk of developing breast cancer if you:
- Are a woman Are over the age of 40
- Are overweight or obese
- Drink more than one alcoholic drink daily
- Experience breast changes
- Gave birth for the first time after age 35 or never gave birth Have radiation to your chest or face before age 30
- Have a family history of breast cancer or have inherited genetic mutations Have a personal history of breast cancer
- Have dense breasts
Ask your doctor if you’d benefit from a BRCA gene test. You’ll partner with a professional to learn if your breast cancer or family history of breast cancer is due to inherited mutations on genes known as BRCA1 and BRCA2. These proteins help repair damaged DNA and need to work properly to stop the growth of cancer. If you have BRCA1 or BRCA2 changes, you have an increased risk of breast cancer. Talk with a genetic counselor about your chances of developing breast cancer.
If you have risk factors, such as BRCA1 or BRCA2 gene changes, ask your doctor about your options to prevent breast cancer.
Specialized Breast Cancer Care
Count on expert cancer care and specialized treatments close to home in Goldsboro if you receive a breast cancer diagnosis. Work with a board-certified oncology nurse who’ll answer your questions about your diagnosis, treatment options, and medications.